13 mars 2009

Theoretical Girl Interview || English Version




-Why did you choose the name 'Theoretical Girl'? Is there a link with the band "Theoretical Girls"?

It's a very long and boring story! But to cut it short, a friend gave me the name after writing some lyrics for me in the early days. They were about being a 'theoretical girl'. I had a gig booked that week and still didn't have a name, so decided just to call myself Theoretical Girl as I couldn't think of anything else and the name just stuck! I heard Theoretical Girls a little after this when I bought a No-Wave compilation album, so it wasn't linked to them, just a coincidence!

-Why you didn’t choose to have a band but playing on your own plus a band?

In the early days, I played with my four-track and my guitar on my own because no-body else was doing it at that time. I wanted to be different! But the music really does come across so much better when you've got live drums and bass! And I got a bit lonely too! It's much more fun to go travelling with friends than on your own!

-Is the new album more mature than everything you did before?

I don't know if it's more mature, but I've definitely found the sound that represents me right now. I'm sure I'll be making different music in 6 months time! I go through phases you see! It's sounding much bigger than my previous recordings, there is lots of strings and brass and synths. I really hope that people like it!

-Do you enjoy playing in Paris? Is it different from London?

I love playing in Paris! It feels more of a special event! And the audience in Paris are far more encouraging. London crowds can be very tame as there are hundreds of gigs every night!! It's not so special to them when bands come to play.

-What do you think about the new London Scene? Do you think you’re a part of it?

I didn't know there was a London Scene!

-Why should we buy your album?

If you are the kind of person who has a wide taste in music, you might like my album! It has punky songs, poppy songs, acoustic songs! Songs for every mood!

-What’s your secret to a so wonderful haircut?

I have boring hair!!! I cut it myself so it's always a bit wonky!

-Do you feel more psychedelic or electric?

Electric! I love a bit of distorted electric guitar!

-What’s the biggest gig you ever made?

We supported Maximo Park a couple of years ago and played some nice big venues! Up to 2000 people. Lots of fun! I hope to do something like that again.

-Do you have something to add?

My single 'Rivals' is out on 25th May!

Aucun commentaire: