17 mai 2009

Interview: This Tawdry Affair English version

Here is the interview we had with the Band This Tawdry Affair at the occasion of their first gig in Paris last March.


1 why did you choose the name This Tawdry Affair ?
Thanee: I was reading 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' by Osacr wilde it’s a novel and on the book he describes a debauche party that he describes it as a tawdry affair, and I like that sentence.

2.Is your look very important ?
Linda: I guess it’s always important at some point isn’t it?
Thanee: yes, and even if I wasn’t in a band I so dress how I dress
Linda: and you did, and I don’t think we’re really known for the way we dress anyway .


3.What do you think about the new London scene, do think you’re a part of it?
Jordan: which London scene are you talking about?
Pe: oh you know the east, ‘dark wave’ London scene.
Linda: I guess we’ve been compared to it
Tahnee: yes, I suppose in a way I think it’s great that so many bands are doing you know obviously lots of music and I think in a way we're a part of the scene because we generally like it but I wouldn’t like to say that we’re linked to anything of that.
pe: But you can’t deny the scene, and don’t you think you’re in it?
Tahnee:Well we’re friends of many of people who are on this scene et we’ve been playing the same venues
Jordan: We’ve been asking the question ‘what do you think about dark scene’ we didn’t even know we were a part of this scene!
Tom:It’s a good thing that a scene is going on but I wouldn’t say that we’re in it
Linda: we didn’t though ‘okay we’re going to be in the east London scene’
Tahnee: I think it’s time to get out of playing gigs out of east London


4.What inspires your music?
Jordan: Individually, I think we can say that we all have our individual inspiration for me I think I’d say rhythmic guitar which I really like…
Linda: me and Thanee’s really like underground psychedelic music from the 60’s from this few years
Thanee: I really like classical music
PE: waou...
Thanee: well band like Muse, classical music in rock
Tom: I like lots of different music, I’m in lots of different background music.


5.Is there any French band that you like ?
Jordan: Coco Rosie
Tahnee: have you ever heard of the band “Ruth”?
Pe: oh yes of course
Linda : I love some french yéyé music, girls french band. I don’t understand a word of what they say but I just like the way the music is
Jordan: coco rosie
Tom: I like the French disco influences, and I love French dance music like Pony hoax


6.What can you say in French?
Tahnee: I’ve tried to learn how to say ‘are you single you’re very attractive’. How do you say it?
PE: tu est très beau es-tu célibataire?
(she repeats)
Linda : we all did french at school, but it was when I was like 14 so forget everything.


7.Who drinks the most?
(They all watch Tom an he’s the only one who has already finished his drinks)
Tom: it’s true, I drink quite a bit.
Linda: Last summer me and Tahnee had a lot of rosé wine, we do drink a lot of wine.
Tahnee: especially two from five pounds because we didn’t had a lot of money, we’re classy ladies (she laughs)


5.Are you more psychedelic or electric?
Tahnee, jordan and Linda: psychedelic definately
Linda:I don’t think we got anything electric.
Tom: I love some electric
Tahnee: What about you?
PE: Well, this is a mix between us
Thanee: who is more psychedelic ?
PE: Ophélie is more psychedelic and I’m more electric but we do love this both styles
Thanee: (to Ophélie) Cheers mate


What are you plan for the future?
Jordan: Planing more gigs.
Tom: We want to focus more, being better musicians because last year we had months that we wouldn’t practice.
Tahnee: go out of London.


Are you happy to play in Paris?
All: oh yes, yes very happy.
Tahnee: It’s our first gig out of the uk so we’re really exiting
Jordan: Actually it’s our first gig outside of London
(they laugh)
Linda: I think it’s interesting to see how it’s to play in an other country to see how the crowd is, if it’s the same as in London.


Who’s the worst band in London at the moment?
Tahnee:
I’m sure you wouldn’t like the answer.
Linda: I’m sure there’s a lot of bad band but there’s no point to condamn.
Pe: we knew that we going to answer that but we thought it was funny to ask.
Tahnee: If I were more drunk I’m sure I would had told you
Pe: oh we should have wait!

Aucun commentaire: