24 sept. 2009

English version: An Experiement on a Bird in the Air Pump



Here is the interview I had with the amazing X-bird, C-bird and D-Bird from an experiment on a bird in the air pump


1/ Why did you choose the name an experiment on a bird in the air pump?

C-Bird: well we sorted the band about a year ago and we had to choose something and we then on it was about to exclaimed something really exciting and massive and big. It sorted out that it has to be an experiment.
X-bird: It arrived from that, the name comes from the fact that it was like an experiment, we wanted to create a new sound, we wanted to put things down and see our abilities to create. We started with a bass and a vocal and now we’ve got two basses. We wanted to see what we could do with what we’ve got, kind of created our minimal sound and it’s not about having a huge orchestra and making huge sound with so many instruments, it’s about having great ideas and kind of created something amazing.
D-Bird: Yes, to go back to the name we have a blog that we write on very regularly. The whole reason that we write this blog is that we enjoy music, we enjoy films, we enjoy art and you know some people think that it’s really ambitious to have a nine-word band name you know we didn’t want to be a “the band” ok we’ve got “the birds” as a nick name but you know. I remember we made a gig and people came over to say "you're such a great band, your music is great, but maybe you should change the name" and I was like "no way why should we change the name?!" Our name is on the magazine and we want to show people that you don’t need to be called “the something” you can just be yourself, represent your band by something you really are. Bands shouldn’t think they have to be cool you know.

PE: It’s amazing how "complete"and exiting your band is.

D-Bird: Yeah we want to test our limits.
X-Bird: Yeah I think we haven't seen anything like this since the “punk” was, people are going out but they don’t have enough money to do massive things, do massive gigs even if this is amazing (the festival “les femmes s’en mêlent” in Paris that they were playing that night)
C-Bird: People told me “you have to know the rules before you can break them” I said "fuck the rules, you don’t need to know the fucking rules in order to break them. I’ve got the fucking idea and that’s all I need".
D-Bird: I think that what makes us works, it’s the fact that we’ve got the same beliefs, that we’re equal, we’re strong women, strong beliefs, strong love of art and films. It’s not about who can play bass or drums better than the other we just want to create a sort of unity. I moved to London to find friends and creative people, and there’s lots of people who move there and they’re all like “I’m an artist, I’m a musician” and you can’t meet anybody they just wanted to be "cool", they pretend they’re musicians but all they do is getting drunk in the same club every night so I was like "oh my god is this what being a musician in London is?"
X-Bird: C-Bird and I have been playing in London for nearly ten years and we’ve only met D-bird two years ago, we only discovered each other now being in the same band create together.
D-Bird: Sorry, did we just take 20minutes to answer on the first question? (laugh)
PE: (laugh) Yes you did but that’s fine because what you say is really interesting!

2/How can you describe your music in 3words?
C-Bird: D.I.Y(do it yourself)
D-Bird: passionate and real
X-Bird: that’s good enough I think
C-Bird: and fuck people,
X-bird: so D.IY, passionate and real and fuck people, good slogan isn’t it? (laugh)

3/Isn’t harder to be a girl band?
D-Bird: I’d said no, in my experience that being in a band for a year I’ve never felt discriminated against. I know we’re playing a female festival (les femmes s’en mêlent), which I think it's amazing, we always play gigs with boys band but I think the main think about is that people think "OMG they’re so scary"
C-Bird: [scary women, scary women laugh]
D-Bird: But we’re not. We’ve got a strong look, we are strong women, we believe in ourselves and eachother. I think traditionally girls band are like "models" you know always worried about their look.
C-Bird: I think in our generation we haven’t got any bands with "bowls" and I think when people look at us play and we’re not like "OMG, how do I like,how is my hair,blah blah" they find us "wow".
X-Bird: Music is generally universal, we don’t have to be strong male figures to play rock and it should happened to everyone's mind

4/What do you think about the new London scene, and the big question is, do you think you’re a part of it?

D-Bird: (smile) There’s lots of people and bands that we know and play with in East London like SCUM, Kasms...They’re friends to all us around and we promote each other but I think it’s more a media creation but being on the inside out we don’t really understand I think it’s more about many bands playing in the same venues with the same energy but definately not the same sound.
Cbird: and I think the whole thing works only if you see that from a point of view out of London, I mean bands playing in east London because there’re great venue there and because they live there.
Xbird: And if you watch back in times figures like jack the ripper or elephantman people in east London are poorer there and people are moving to east London because they can’t afford a flat in west London. there's a social scene.
X-bird: I think it’s exiting because you can go to a gig on Monday then go to a gallery on Tuesday
C-bird:All east London bands I know are ambitious and they love what they do, there’s a sense of community we all support each other, but there’s also a kind of competition
X-bird: A very silent competition!
Laugh
C-bird: yeahh, but you can feel and it’s kind of healthy. What do you think about it?
Pe: Lots of bands I've meet from this scene are always denying that whiwh I think it's silly
D-bird: yeahhhh, you’ve got to accept it.
C-bird:yeah it’s like denying your friends and all the hard work you did
The Birds: we accept it yeah completely accept it
PE: you’re the first one and I’m glad you did
D-bird: and what is important now is what band’ll do in the next 6months that’s how we’ll see how they can get out of it

Can you compare English audience with the other ones?
C-bird: the French audience is the best we ever had they’re so free, dancing, moving and we fucking love it
D-bird: yeah we love stage invasion, we want to be close to our audience we want see them dancing and not looking around what people would think of them
What’s the best gig you ever did?
The birds: I think it’s tonight we fucking enjoy it
PE: then you should come back very soon
well, we're in Paris so what can you say in French?
Thebirds: BONJOURRRRRRRRRRRRR, aurevoirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Xbird: vagin

Aucun commentaire: